- Describe your sector in a nutshell.
Hospitality means extending a welcome to travellers or offering a home away from home. The hospitality and tourism industry can be defined as any business or service that encompasses the provision of accommodation, food, beverage, entertainment and/or leisure services to visitors.
It’s one of the largest and fastest growing industries in the world. Examples of sectors in this industry include hotels, restaurants, bars and pubs, event and conference management, transportation, cruise lines and travel agencies.
This industry is highly competitive and customer service is essential for success.
It’s important for hospitality and tourism businesses to focus on creating a customer-focused atmosphere and providing outstanding customer service in order to meet customer expectations.
- What are the different career opportunities/jobs available in your sector?
Careers within the hospitality industry: (Note there is a Career structure within every department)
- Human Resources
- Food & Beverage
- Event Coordinators
- Front of House (Reception Agent, Porters, Guest Relations)
- Kitchen (Chefs development)
- What’s interesting/fun about your sector/industry? Why should a young person want to work there?
- Customer service oriented
- Multicultural working environment
- Career opportunities to include transferring between departments
- Transferable skill set: Opportunities to work globally
- Fast growing industry with many opportunities
- What skills/qualities do you look for in someone wanting to join your sector?
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Polite and smartly turned out
- Excellent attention to detail
- A multitasking ability to manage successfully different situations
- Strong organisational skills, and ability to work under pressure with no difficulties
- Good Communicator- Fluency in English, both verbal and written is essential. Additional European language would be an advantage
- Computer literacy
- Customer focus
- What is demand looking like in your sector? How do you think this will change in the future?
- The demand for personnel with languages is high i.e. English and Spanish is key
- Globally it is a growing industry
- Job opportunities (Locally and globally)
- Opportunities to fast-track potential employees
- What is the approximate salary range can people earn?
- Depends on the position and department but varies from minimum wages to well over £70+K Gross. Salaries also depends on the location (Country/City), company (Hotel Brand etc..) and on occasions seasons (Peak Seasons would attract higher demands).
- What career pathways are available for a young person wanting to join your sector? (University and non-uni routes)
- Career pathways are many. The hospitality industry allows young persons the opportunities to develop within departments and/or seek to transfer across to other departments, this often means promotion. It is common practice to transfer personnel in order to develop personnel for management positions within the hotel.
- Any advice you would give to a young person wanting to join your sector?
The career opportunities to develop within the industry are vast, especially if the person wants to travel abroad.
The sector is demanding, but also rewarding. Globally the scope within the hospitality industry is unlimited.