- Describe your sector in a nutshell.
The hair industry is an inspirational and exciting industry, an art form where hair is the canvas for the creative.
- What are the different career opportunities/jobs available in your sector?
Careers in hairdressing are wide ranging and varying ranging from assistant, hair stylist, session stylist, educator to front of house, administration and management roles.
- What’s interesting/fun about your sector/industry? Why should a young person want to work there?
The hair industry is a fast paced, exciting environment offering opportunities to work with people from all walks of life including celebrities and even royalty. The industry allows you to constantly meet and engage with new people from all walks of life and it’s the industries role to make people feel good about themselves by transforming their appearance through hair artistry. There are endless opportunities from day to day salon work to photoshoots, filming and hair shows. Diversity at work is unparalleled in this industry where no two days are the same.
- What skills/qualities do you look for in someone wanting to join your sector?
People skills are essential, as well as reliability, commitment, attention to detail, willingness to constantly learn and working well within a team.
- What is demand looking like in your sector? How do you think this will change in the future?
Demand is constant in the sector as there are varied progression routes within the industry. The Gibraltar hair industry previously relied on international talent and we are now seeing a demand for locally home grown talent.
- What is the approximate salary range can people earn?
Assistants earn hourly rates starting from £8.50 p/ hour, Stylists earn salaries starting from £24,000, session stylists earn salaries starting from £30,000, Managers earn salaries starting from £24,000, front of house earn salaries starting from £15,000.
- What career pathways are available for a young person wanting to join your sector? (University and non-uni routes)
The Gibraltar Academy of Hair and Beauty offer City and Guilds vocational courses in hair and beauty locally in Gibraltar ranging from entry level schools courses to technical hairdressing and beauty courses delivered in conjunction with the Gibraltar College. City and Guilds courses are the best internationally recognised vocational courses and The Academy offers level 2 courses as well as advanced level 3 courses for those wishing to continue in further education.
The academy works directly with employers to offer students work experience placements and to offer successful graduates employment opportunities.
Private courses are also available for those not eligible for Government funding.
- Any advice you would give to a young person wanting to join your sector?
The sector is an exciting, dynamic and rewarding one. You should not be afraid of hard work but with determination and commitment you will benefit from the endless opportunities the industry will expose you to.